New cards are available at no charge to all residents of the Acorn Public Library District. The District includes Oak Forest and segments of Country Club Hills, Crestwood, Midlothian, Orland Park, and Tinley Park. Please visit the Circulation Desk or Contact Us with any questions.
To provide proof of residency within the District, you will need to bring either:
- A photo ID with your current address
- A photo ID and a piece of mail such as a lease or utility bill that displays your name and current address.
Local businesses and teachers who are employed at schools within the District are welcome to obtain a card from us at no cost. Please access the policy for details.
Lost or Expired Cards
Proof of residency is required to replace both lost and expired cards. Expired cards are renewed at no charge. The replacement fee for lost cards is $3.00.
- You may use your Acorn Public Library card at all SWAN libraries—including most public libraries in the south and west suburbs.
- You may borrow up to 25 items total at one time.
- Only 3 video games per card may be checked out at a time.
- Items can be renewed at the Library, by telephone, or through the online catalog. When renewing by phone, please have your Library card available.
We honor all SWAN library cards in good standing. Any Illinois resident may create a reciprocal card for use at the Acorn Public Library.
|Books, Audiobooks, and Periodicals||Three weeks||Two|
|CDs, TV Series, and Nonfiction DVDs||Three weeks||Two|
|Streaming Media Devices||Two weeks||None|
|New Release Fiction DVDs||Three days||None|
|Older Fiction DVDs||One week||None|
|Video Games and CD-ROMs||One week||None|
|Hot Copy Books and Audiobooks||One week||None|
|Hot Copy DVDs||Three days||None|
Overdue fines are listed in our Fines and Fees Policy.
Reserves & Interlibrary Loan
- If a book or other item is checked out, we can reserve it for you. Please ask at the Reference Desk or Contact Us for assistance.
- If Acorn does not own a particular item, we may be able to borrow it for you from another library. Magazine issues and articles can also be requested from other libraries. Please ask at the Reference Desk or Contact Us for assistance.
- You can search the online catalog and place your own holds at the Library and at home through our online catalog. To cancel a hold, please contact the Library.
- View the Interlibrary Loan Policy.
Materials may be returned to the Circulation Desk or the Youth Services Desk during business hours. The drive-up book drop is located in the south parking lot, and can be accessed at any time.
The Library's eBooks and eAudiobooks can be downloaded to your tablet, smartphone, or computer. Visit our eBooks & eMagazines page for more information and instructions. Please stop by the Reference Desk or Contact Us with any questions.