Food & Shelter
Assistance & Benefits
- Benefits.gov: Use the Benefit Finder to determine if you are eligible for Federal or State government assistance.
- Illinois Department of Human Services: Locate resources for child care, mental health, youths in crisis, and disabilities.
- Illinois Legal Aid: Find legal assistance and learn about rights and responsibilities.
- Legal Assistance Foundation: Provides free legal assistance to residents of Cook County who are living in poverty.
- Trinity Services: Nonprofit organization offering educational, living, and employment services to those with disabilities.
Health & Medical
English as a Second Language (ESL)
The Library has a range of resources on ESL. Please Contact Us for assistance locating them.
- South Suburban College ESL Classes: Find information on classes and contact information.
- Conversation Cafe: Play games and enjoy refreshments with a librarian while practicing your English skills at South Suburban College! See our calendar for scheduled meeting information.
- Moraine Valley Community College ESL Classes: Locate information on classes and contact information.
- Transparent Language Online: With this flexible program, you can quickly and easily learn new languages using a wide variety of courses and activities. Sign up with your library card today!
- Universal Class: Universal Class offers over 500 free courses including ESL Basic Grammar, ESL Writing Skills, and much more!
Citizenship & Immigration
The Library has a range of books and other materials on becoming a citizen in our New Americans Corner located on the upper level. Please Contact Us for assistance locating them.
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS): Learn about the citizenship process, study for the test, and more.
- Universal Class: Universal Class offers over 500 free courses including U.S. Citizenship Test Preparation and much more!
- The Wrong Help Can Hurt: Beware of Immigration Scams (USCIS): If you need legal advice on immigration matters, make sure the person helping you is authorized to give legal advice.
- National Immigration Law Center - Know Your Rights: Know your rights when stopped by immigration or police. A printable Know Your Rights card is available on this webpage.
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA): This page provides information on requesting consideration of deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA).
- Temporary Protected Status (TPS): The Secretary of Homeland Security may designate a foreign country for TPS due to conditions in the country that temporarily prevent the country's nationals from returning safely, or in certain circumstances, where the country is unable to handle the return of its nationals adequately.
- World Relief Chicago: World Relief Chicago works in close collaboration with community partners and volunteers to come alongside refugees and immigrants on their journey through cultural adjustment with the goal of assisting refugees in becoming self-sufficient in the United States.
- Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS): The Bureau of Refugee and Immigrant Services funds, manages and monitors contracts designed to help newly arriving refugees achieve self-sufficiency in the United States and provide outreach and interpretation services to low-income and limited English-proficient individuals requiring supportive services.
- Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights (ICIRR): ICIRR is dedicated to promoting the rights of immigrants and refugees to full and equal participation in the civic, cultural, social, and political life of our diverse society. In partnership with our member organizations, the Coalition educates and organizes immigrant and refugee communities to assert their rights; promotes citizenship and civic participation; monitors, analyzes, and advocates on immigrant-related issues; and, informs the general public about the contributions of immigrants and refugees.
- USCIS Community Information: Find information on classes, legal matters, and more. (En español).
- Immigration Law: Locate free legal service providers.
Driver Services & State IDs
Voter Information & Passports